Pages

Monday, January 26, 2009

Think, Not Believe

In the book ‘Labaik’ when M. Mufti asks Qudrat as to why he adds ‘maybe’ to every answer he gives. Qudrat replied, “Because only God is all-knowing.”
I was taught very early in life to be very careful when uttering the words, ‘I believe’. One should rather replace it with ‘I think’. ‘I believe’ is like putting a period; barricading reception and creation of new ideas. It renders one incapable of budging from own viewpoint and does not give way to someone else’s thoughts.
Think of the immense vastness of space and then say, ‘I’. Saying ‘I believe’ is similar to that. It creates the same sense of insignificance.
I have reserved ‘I believe’ for the places where according to Zulfiqar Ahmad Taabish; wings of reason and intellect get burnt. The dimension where a little spark of love is all what is needed to do the trick.
One can always argue that even in those regions one should keep the channels open and not block them with ‘I believe’ but I have observed that you can think only to a certain extent; after which things start getting messed up. This shouldn’t be a good enough excuse but sometimes it makes life a lot less complicated if we just let go. It feels great and of course you're not hurting anybody.

2 comments:

M. Umer Toor said...

"The dimension where a little spark of love is all what is needed to do the trick."


What does that (i.e., love) has got to do with 'places with the wings of reason burn'? What is ishq? Not what rumi says, rather what tradition...?

HAQ said...

As a human being, we are unable to comprehend the enormity of the One. Reason fails us and it is not surprising considering our worthlessness when compared to the vast universe. Still, if we forcibly try to find an explanation, we might never reach the destination and get lost in the ramblings of the mind. It is the heart which is needed...

This is what I understood from it.