Pages

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Good Will Hunting

Finally there was something worth that one and a half hour. I truly regret not getting my hands on it earlier. Every scene was a pearl in a string. I would resist the temptation to write down every single dialogue over here and restrict myself to a few.
First there was this scene where Will is having an argument with a big-headed Harvard first-year grad student (Clark) who was trying to make Will’s friend Chuckie look bad in front of girls. Will comes in and shuts him up by telling that he is just repeating some previously crammed lines from a book and doesn’t have any original thought on the subject. The last line is what answers a lot of questions. I think this what matters in the final analysis. Here is an excerpt
Clark: Well, as a matter of fact, I won't, because Wood drastically underestimates the impact of social -
Will: Wood drastically underestimates the impact of social distinctions predicated upon wealth, especially inherited wealth"? You got that from Vickers' "Work in Essex County," page 98, right? Yeah, I read that too. Were you gonna plagiarize the whole thing for us? Do you have any thoughts of your own on this matter? Or do you, is that your thing, you come into a bar, read some obscure passage and then pretend - you pawn it off as your own, as your own idea just to impress some girls, embarrass my friend?
Clark: [looks down in shame]
Will: See, the sad thing about a guy like you is, in 50 years you're gonna start doin' some thinkin' on your own and you're going to come up with the fact that there are two certainties in life: one, don't do that, and two, you dropped 150 grand on an education you could have got for a dollar fifty in late charges at the public library!
Clark: Yeah, but I will have a degree. And you'll be servin' my kids fries at a drive-thru on our way to a skiing trip.
Will: That may be, but at least I won't be unoriginal.


Skylar and Will have this energy or some kind of vibe which makes everything around them 'comfortable' when they are together. I don't know how to explain it, maybe that is what good chemistry is all about. I liked the way Sean described soul mates, not to mention Will's reply.

SEAN:Do you have a soul-mate?
WILL:Define that.
SEAN:Someone who challenges you in every way. Who takes you places, opens things up for you. A soul-mate.
WILL:Yeah. Shakespeare, Neitzche, Frost, O'Connor, Chaucer, Pope, Kant--
SEAN:They're all dead.
WILL:Not to me, they're not.
SEAN:But you can't give back to them, Will.

There are many scenes which I would have loved to share but someone who hasn't seen the movie would be somewhat lost. Taking an excerpt out is pretty brutal. It's like breaking that string, the charm of looking it as a whole is far greater. I'll end this post with this clip.

Enigmatic and enchanting. Perhaps it was Will's turn to face some originality :)


6 comments:

Awais Aftab said...

Ah, i love this movie!! It's among my all time favourites!! Love it, love it, love it :D

HAQ said...

It's hard not to :) With so many good movies out there, it's hard to choose but do you have any favourites? Top 5 or something.

Hakuna Matata said...

Cool ! Now I have something good to watch.:) Robbins Williams has this thing to make his characters memorable, be it maniac but brilliant Patch of Patch Adams or the inspiring English teacher of The Dead Poet's Society.

HAQ said...

The Dead Poet's Society is on my torrent right now and I need to revisit Patch Adams. I vaguely remember watching it with my dad a decade back. Good Morning Vietnam was another good one i guess.

Hakuna Matata said...

Not much of a movie buff but just tell me a movie had Robbin Williams or Will Smith in it and it will jump to top of my to watch list.Movies to watch( counts on her fingers )
1. Seven Pounds
2. Good Will Hunting
3. Good morning Vietnam :)

There are some scenes in the 1st half of Dead Poet's society that gives you goosebumps...rest of it is just fluff :-| And Patch Adams is my personal favorite because
1. It has 'witty' dialogues
2. Its based one 'true' events
3.Its a heck of a 'motivation' for medics

Happy Watching :)

HAQ said...

Hmm there are so many. I can't pin point the genre you seek but do go for "Finding Forrester" if you haven't watched it already. Happy watching to you too.