Pages

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Ingrid Michaelson


I discovered her in those weekly music reviews. Perhaps it was the laid back style or just the innocence of lyrics that has kept me glued to her songs for the last two weeks.


“Giving Up”

What if we stop having a ball?
What if the paint chips from the wall?
What if there's always cups in the sink?
What if I'm not what you think I am?
What if I fall further than you?
What if you dream of somebody new?
What if I never let you win, chase you with a rolling pin?
Well what if I do? I am giving up on making passes
and I am giving up on half empty glasses
and I am giving up on greener grasses.
I am giving up. What if our baby comes home after nine?
What it your eyes close before mine?
What if you lose yourself sometimes?
Then I'll be the one to find you
Safe in my heart.


"Starting Now"


I want to crawl back inside my mother's womb
I want to shut out all the lights in this room
I want to start fresh, like a baby in a sink
Scrub away all these thoughts that i think of you
So life moves slowly when you're waiting for it to boil
Feel like i watch from 6 feet under the soil
Still want to hold you and kiss behind your ears
But I re count the countless tears that i lost for you
But before you finally go *(before you go)*
There’s one thing you should know:
That I promise -
Starting now I'll never know your name
Starting now I'll never feel the same
Starting now I wish you never came into my world.
I want to crawl back inside my bed of sin
I want to burn the sheets that smell like your skin
Instead I'll wash them just like kitchen rags with stains
Spinning away every piece that remains of you.
It's my world, it's not ours anymore


"Glass"


Rolled around on kitchen floors.
Tied my tongue in pretty bows with yours.
And now we pass and just like glassI see through you,
you see through me like I'm not there
You could make my head swerve.
Used to know my every curve.
And now we meet on a street,And I am blind.
I can not find the heart I gave to you.
Sometimes what we think we really want we don't.
Sometimes what we think we want we really don't.
Sometimes what we think we love we don't.
And I am blind. I can not find the heart I gave to you.
And when we meet on a street,Then I am blind.
I can not find the heart I gave to you.

No comments: