Pages

Monday, February 16, 2009

My Not-So-Perfect Chocolate Mousse

Well, of course it's not perfect. I can work on the presentation a lot more; the taste was scrumptilicious though. It should be served in martini glasses (if I ever found them) with a swirl of whipped cream (which I didn't have at that time) on it. Chocolate shavings should be more visible, I shredded them too finely. Moreover, I took it out from the refrigerator after just an hour. Huge mistake!
I'll definitely post the picture of the improved version when I give it a try again. For now, I am thinking … cheesecake!

INGREDIENTS
  • 150 g dark chocolate
  • 4 egg whites
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1 tsp orange zest
  • 2 tbsp of unsalted butter (optional)
  • 2 tbsp of coffee (optional)

METHOD

  • Melt the chocolate over a Bain-main until smooth. (You may add butter in it)
  • Beat the egg whites to soft peaks, sprinkle over the sugar and continue beating until a stiff meringue a minute or two later. (Soft peaks can be refrigerated for a while for better results)
  • Beat the yolks with orange zest.(You may use coffee as well)
  • Whisk the chocolate into the yolks.(Chocolate should be preferably at room temperature)
  • Fold in a spoonful of whites, then pour the remaining whites and fold gently to combine evenly. (Don't stir, it will ruin everything)
  • Pour the mousse in a serving bowl, cover well with plastic and refrigerate at least a few hours.(Some say at least 8 hours)
  • Serve garnished with whipped cream, chocolate shavings and a little orange zest.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a first try nt really bad :)

HAQ said...

Thank you :)

leemz said...

hmmm nice but i have a chef Rahats recipe for the perfect chocolate Mousse! it's relatively easier than this one. And also it's tried and tested by me several times.

happy cooking! :)

HAQ said...

Thanks. I'll definitely look up that recipe.

Anonymous said...

why every time obsessive compulsive disorder???;D

HAQ said...

Not everytime!

leemz said...

it's on my food blog, www.thechefinme.com :)