Pages

Sunday, November 9, 2008

A Dream Shattered

Today is 9th November, birth anniversary of Dr. Muhammad Allama Iqbal. I took out the book comprising his complete works and opened it randomly. Like Shakespeare and Ghalib, I always find it too herculean a task to even dare to open a book like this. I know at the back of my mind that I'll end up lost in the tirade of words too big for me.

I came across these verses which are from his book bal-e-jibreel. I was pleasantly surprised how smoothly they ran through me without any hindrance up to the point where they touched the heart. Striking the right cords at the right time. A surge within as you read these lines.

نہ ہُوطغیانِ مُشتاقی تو میں رہتا نہیں باقی
!کہ میری زندگی کیا ہے؟ یہی طُغیانِ مُشتاقی
مجھے فطرت نوا پر پے بہ پے مجبور کرتی ہے
ابھی محفل میں ہے شاید کوئی درد آشنا باقی
وہ آتش آج بھی تیرا نشیمن پھونک سکتی ہے
!طلب صادق نہ ہو تیری تو پھر کیا شکوۂ ساقی
نہ کر افرنگ کا اندازہ اس کی تابناکی سے
کہ بجلی کے چراغوں سے ہے اس جوہر کی بَّراقی
دلوں میں ولولے آفاق گیری کے نہیں اُٹھتے
!نگاہوں میں اگر پیدا نہ ہو اندازِ آفاقی
خزاں میں بھی کب آسکتا تھا میں صیّاد کی زد میں
!مری غمّاز تھی شاخِ نشیمن کی کم اوراقی
الٹ جائیں گی تدبیریں، بدل جائیں گی تقدیریں
!حقیقت ہے، نہیں میرے تخیّل کی یہ خلّاقی


I see around today and I feel cheated. Was this 'the' nation? I wish we had not let his vision crumble and dream shatter.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

'Words are not clearly visible really hard to read'.

HAQ said...

Thanks for pointing out. I hope it's clearly visible now.

Anonymous said...

Thankyou for doing so now its clear and its good as well!

Anonymous said...

[A general comment] "Ur new profile pic is more gud than previous one it appeals very decent person" I like it!

HAQ said...

okay :S Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

Dnt get confused..Its seriously really Nice !! Perfect.

HAQ said...

:D You can't call it perfect and then expect me not to get confused.